Last night was one of those nights like many nights for me. I have a difficult time sleeping because of medical reasons that are affiliated with Myasthenia Gravis and the CIPD which is the chronic form of Guillian Barre Syndrome. On nights when I have more pain that makes it impossible to sleep or breath comfortable my mind gets going on other things. Most of the time I fill my worst nights with thoughts of prayer and thanksgiving. I’m not meaning the kind of thanksgiving as in the one day a year where we are suppose to be thankful for all the things we have. We should be thankful each and every day. My thoughts and prayers on people and the hurts of the world.
Last night and this week I have had many sleepless nights. Not only because of pain and difficulties, but my nights and dreams are about those I love. Most of my thoughts last night as I was laying in bed trying to get comfortable is how I need to work on my prayer life. I have many conversations with God, but He has been directing me to be more mindful and direct when it comes to praying. The movie War Room has shown me that I need to be focusing on praying for others continually and effectively for others.
I can’t help but pay attention to all the things going on in this world. If others can’t see it, they are blind. Everyday we hear more and more about the evils happening before our eyes. It is easy to get discouraged. But there is something we can do. God has given each of us the ability to fight evil and overcome things with the most powerful weapon possible and that would be prayer.
I fully believe in Jesus Christ and we are told that prayer requests and thanksgiving should be done for everyone. As a believer in Christ we aren’t exempt from praying for others. During this weeks Monday evening Bible Study one of the ladies brought up how we are in a spiritual battle with Satan. She is right, we have to pray for our own spiritual well-being and focus in praying for others. Without a doubt we are in the middle of a war whether we like it or not. We are all caught up in the spiritual war that’s taking place between good and evil. When we trust in God’s power we can trust that He is greater than any evil working against us and in the world. Our prayers can help stop bad things from happening to others. We are called to pray for others.
- Romans 8: 26-27, Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groaning too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
- Ephesians 6:12–18, “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and shaving put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints.”
Our church has a men’s prayer meeting on Saturdays and I have been really thinking on how prayer shouldn’t be limited to just the men or on one day. While I was talking to one of the ladies at church, we were discussing having a study on prayer for the ladies. We will be taking a break from our Monday night Bible Study this week, but prayer is something we never should take a break from. As I was laying awake, I kept thinking about or God put it on my heart that even though we won’t be doing the evening study, we can still meet and pray on Monday evenings. Give each of the ladies a journal and during the week they can write down their thoughts and prayers and when we meet, we can pray for those prayers.
As I was praying on this and thinking about how it would work out, there was a few things that came to mind. We would let the Holy Spirit lead us as we pray for our community, church family, friends, missions, or whoever or whatever else are in need of prayers.
God seems to put a lot of things on my heart at night. It must be because that is the only time when He really gets my attention since my heart and mind isn’t cluttered by all the other things going on in my life and in the world. My mind gets pretty cluttered during the day time. But a couple verses comes to mind as I think and ponder about a evening prayer meeting for the ladies. BTW, this is one of those things that is out of my comfort zone. I pray, but I don’t usually pray in groups. It must be something that God is wanting instead of me. And I can’t argue with God since He is always right. 🙂
- Acts 12:12 – Peter went to the house of Mary where others gathered for prayer.
- Acts 1:13-14 – scripture records that all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women.
In closing I just want to add that one of the things that has been heavy on my mind and heart is that our time in short. We don’t know when we will be called home or when Christ will come again. Nothing is impossible when we trust in God. When you pray about especially challenging situations. Commit everything you pray about fully to God. As I spend time praying I must keep in mind that I have to resist the lies that Satan by submitting your my life completely to God. While I am reading God’s Word (the Bible) I need to be praying for others and remember what’s true and what’s not.
Our life is full of obstacles and battles. Every time we turn around there are threats present. The awesome news is that we have the best weapon at our disposal and that is prayer. When we put on the full armor of God’s word, Jesus is there with us. We can face every enemy and we can be confident in knowing that we will be victorious. While we will always have struggles and we may get discouraged, we can rest assured that we are on the winning side because if God is for us then how can we loose.There isn’t anything that God doesn’t understand. As we learn more about God through His Word, we can face anything without fear. God will give us the strength if only we turn to Him.
- 2 Samuel 10:12 Be strong, and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight.
- 1 John 5:4 For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.
This week has been overwhelming at times for me. A very dear lifelong friend lost her battle with cancer. Robin went home to be with the Lord last night. She loved the Lord and I know that while she is no longer here, she is resting in the arms of God. I can rest peacefully in knowing that God is with me and all of those who have faith in Him. God would never leave His children to battle the things of this world alone. God is more powerful than any army and any battle that we come up against.
- Psalms 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him.
Listen to Victory In Jesus Video on YouTube.