My friend Dena Allen and I would have this conversation so many times. She has since passed away. Dena use to be a school teacher and she was very smart when it came to the Bible. Dena was like my adopted Grandma when I moved here to Utah. She and I would get into the discussion of the Trinity. And it would be hours and we would always come to the same conclusion. If I had questions about the Bible, she knew them. She was a whizz!
When people or pastors say that Jesus is God, I get confused. The reason I get confused is when the trinity is explained as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Now since they are described in this way, it seems separate. Because you have God the Father, Christ the Son and the Holy Spirit.
I had one pastor explain to me that it is like a play and when you go to this play, there is only one actor. You have this cast of one and when they change into a different character, they will change cloths and put on a mustache. And that would be like God. God came down to earth as a baby but He is still God. I’m giving this pastor a stupid look by this time.
Then I proceeded, which gave him a stupid look and he thought I lost it big time. I asked him about a few verses in the Bible.
- John 3:16. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- In Matthew 27:45-46, it says, “Now from the sixth hour darkness fell upon all the land until the ninth hour. 46And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?” If Jesus is God, why would He say this?
- Luke 2:47-49, “And all that heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. And when they saw Him, they were amazed: and His mother said unto Him, Son, why hast thou dealt with us in this way? Behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing. And He said unto them, did you not know that I must be about My Fathers business?”
Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness
- Matthew 4:1-11, Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.” 4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” 5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:“‘He will command his angels concerning you,and they will lift you up in their hands,so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.” 10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’ 11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.
Baptism of Christ
- Matthew 3:13-17, 13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented. 16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
OK, so those are some of the verses that confuse me on this topic. In my brain when I think of the Trinity or God Head, I think of my daughters. There is me (Sandie-Mom) and then there is Jessica (daughter), and then there is the spirit or the traits we each have. Jessica isn’t the same as me, but she is still a part of me. She has certain traits that we both share, blood types and views. And at the same time she is her own person and she has her own free will. Now when it comes to the Holy Spirit, we are anointed with the Holy Spirit when we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.
I guess the way I see it, which could be wrong or I’m making things harder than they need to be is that God is God, Jesus is God’s Son, which would make Him of God and then you have the Holy Spirit which is of God. Hm..The picture of the Trinity I posted has me confused too. I was never good with charts.
This is one of the topics in the Bible that confuses me and I don’t think the analogy of a one man act is helping me understand this any better. There is one thing that I’m not confused on is that the Bible is the truth and that Jesus Christ is the son of God and that He died for my sins.