This post all began from a status update on Facebook. This was posted on Lisa Whelchels wall. if you don’t know her she played Blair on The Facts of Life and is a devout Christian.
Her Status; I’m just crazy about Ellen Degeneres. She has the sweetest spirit. And such a fun show! (All that and killer apps, too. :)# @TheEllenShow
Shortly after she posted this, there were people coming out saying all kinds of things that are how they lost respect for her and those who knows that as Christians we aren’t to judge others. We are to love others as Christ loves us.
Don’t speak evil against each other, dear brothers and sisters. If you criticize and judge each other, then you are criticizing and judging God’s law. But your job is to obey the law, not to judge whether it applies to you. God alone, who gave the law, is the Judge. He alone has the power to save or to destroy. So what right do you have to judge your neighbor? (James 4:11-15)
Here are a few of the replies that she got on her page. I’m not posting all and not putting names of who posted them.
- Please find a way to be a guest on her show. That’d be awesome!
- Lisa…You are even more beautiful on the inside than you are on the outside and that is saying a lot.
- I have just lost all respect for you after this post. Im sorry but there is nothing sweet about Ellen. I was thinking you claimed to be Christian.
- Aren’t Christians supposed to “love thy neighbor”, Donna?
- I’m a big old fat lesbo that loves Ellen for the fact that she is geuninely doing her job to make people happy. I love her comedy, her show, and her dancing. She has the best guests. I have watched her since she was a stand-up comic. She’s hilarious and her comedy is clean. Having said that, I don’t go to church, but I do consider myself a Christian and surely God loves me because I am me and that’s ok. I have respect for people that can be who they are. I’m leaning toward that C- like you were talking about. I have no patience for bigotry and judging in any capacity.
- There is not one person commenting on this, or on Earth, for that matter, that is without sin! I believe that God will work on people in His own time regarding their own sin, and we should pay attention to our own houses and not throw stones at others.
- I am a Christian Pastor and I believe we need to love and show compassion to everyone. Jesus sat and ate with sinners. Last time I checked only God has the authority to judge anyone. Its judgment statements that turn people off from Christianity. I see people as people, not labels
- I believe in Jesus Christ and the written word of God, the bible. I went on a Reformation tour with Lisa and spoke with her personally. How can you disrespect a person because they don’t feel or think the same as you? One day we will all answer for our OWN sins…worry about that not Ellen or Lisa!
- Just remember God gives us all “free will” but he loves us all the same. 1st Samuel 16:7
- Will never understand how Lisa’s innocent and kind comments ALWAYS seem to get her insulted or called a bad Christian. Well, let me fill you in…God made all of us, in his image, right…well guess what, being gay is not only a choice but a dna screw up…too many chromosones or not enough chromosones…so technically, isn’t that God’s creation. So instead of wasting so much time hating and putting people down, embrace what your God created.
And this was my reply to some of the comments;
I love to watch Ellen and for those who think that is wrong, I will let you have that opinion. I know many people from all walks of life. I have friends that are Christian, Catholic, Mormon, Wiccan, Pagen, Athiests and Agnostics.
Being a Christian myself, living in Utah that is predominantly Mormon (LDS), I have learned that we can be living examples of Christ. While I very much disagree with anything that is not from the Bible and inspired by God, I learned to love the people.
Many think that Christians put themselves on a pedestal and have this holier than thou attitude. We have been thought of as hypocrites and so on. Even though I don’t agree with the sins of others, it isn’t my job to be the one to judge others.
I choose to love those and be friends with those who don’t know Christ as I do. I pray that I live as Christ would have me live and that they can see that I have a personal relationship. I think Lisa and all of those people who have a relationship with Christ and a Christian would knock down those doors of hatred for the sinner and realize that we all have sins and we all fall short of the Glory of God. Lisa has the opportunity to share her faith with people many of us would never get a chance to share with. So give her a great and lets just get off the pedestal of being better than others. Shoot, I may have to do a blog on this topic now for my Senseless Ramblings of the Mindless…
It’s a rare person who is not guilty of judging other people. For some reason we feel that is our responsibility to evaluate and point out the sins of others. The Bible repeatedly warns us of the danger of being judgmental. Jesus said, “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged. (Mt. 7:1-2) James also warns us about being judgmental and gives us 3 dangers that are associated with it.
Being judgmental is something that we all must resist. It’s easy to fall into the trap of slandering other people and being critical of everything they do. Not only does a judgmental attitude destroy other people, it destroys us. Judgmental people seem to be less happy than those who resist the temptation of slandering, gossiping and calling them out on their sins.
In Closing, I just want to say, “Give her a Break” and be examples of Christ. Stop worrying about what others are doing and pay attention to your own sins and walk with Christ.