This year has been a wash for me when it comes to the one show I looked forward to watching each year. That show would be American Idol. American Idol was a total appointment’s for me. I did watch a couple of the videos online to see how each contestant sounded. But I couldn’t stomach watching the show. I will see for next year. I guess I have to wait to see who the judges are.
Normally I always hear about how people who are going to stop watching it when someone gets voted off and they throw a little tantrum, but usually they come back. This year I think they really did leave since it had the lowest ratings of all the years. So now they are going to change things up. I do have a few suggestions, if you all will humor me.
- Judges– I think this was the biggest no brainier of them all. They need to get judges that knows music, not drama queens and so on. The whole thing this year was about Nicki. I couldn’t stand listening to her. I did watch one night and when she told an 18 yr old boy during prime time that she would like to have his baby, I was outta there. She is just to unclassy to even think about listening to and watching.
- Contestants– I don’t know if I really like that they have to be 10 boys and 10 girls. If it is about talent and who the next American Idol would be, then it should be based on how they sing and entertain. Not on what their sexes are. This year they wanted a girl to win at all costs and they put in some of the worst boys to make this happen. They staked the deck and Idol was the losers.
- Past Winners– I think it would be interesting to have past winners and top ten contestants judge. They have been there and know how difficult it can be. For many they have music out for long enough to be able to know who has the right stuff. The ones I’m thinking about is Kelly Clarkston, Clay Aikman, Carrie Underwood, David Cook, Josh Gracin, Jennifer Hudson, Scotty McCreery, Fantasia, Chris Daughtry, Lee DeWyze, Colton, Adam Lambert, Colton Dixon, Mandisa, or Kellie Pickler would be hilarious. I had to include a few of my favorite idols since I still listen to them and buy their music. I love Mandisa, Colton Dixon and Carrie Underwood. I did like Keith and I think Harry Connick Jr would be awesome on the judges panel too. I felt bad for Kieth. He had to sit next to Nicki.
- Clean It Up– During the time slot for American Idol, families are watching TV together. When you put someone on there that is rated X from the get go, you’re going to loose families. At one time it was a show that children and parents could agree on. The kids loved the cute boys with guitars while the parents liked who they liked for whatever reasons. When you have judges dressing like sluts, most don’t want to watch that.
- Auditions and Hollywood Week– I do like watching the auditions and Hollywood Week. But sometimes it gets me with how demeaning this can be for those trying out. They obviously have been told by someone that they can sing or they have family/friends that is wanting to make them look stupid. It is terribly sad when some of these people are laughed at and put down on camera. During Hollywood Week, it seems that alot of these kids get terribly sick. Some to the point of ending up in the hospital because of severe dehydration and such. Plus when they have group songs, they say they are judging them individual. But that isn’t what happens. If you are in a group that is horrible or you happen to catch the flu from someone, you can no longer compete like you normally would. I think they need to rethink this part because of health reasons.