Romans 12:2, Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
I have been working on this blog post for a while. A couple of things brought me to the point of finishing this post up and I am hoping that I don’t offend to many. I also hope that this post doesn’t become a battle royal. The first thing today that happened was a dear friend of ours posted this status on his Facebook page.
- (Jim Black) I am going to step away from political discourse for the time being. It is hard for me to maintain a spiritual demeanor and be politically active at the same time. Therefore, I shall not read or respond to politically charged posts until further notice. Thanks for your support.
The second thing that happened was that I was watching a sermon o my ROKU. I subscribe to a channel that is about the For those who don’t know what ROKU is, it’s a little box that we have hooked up to our television. You have to have WiFi to be able to use it. Instead of having cable, we watch our shows by streaming. You can watch the sermons through ROKU or you can watch the sermons on YouTube or on their website. Oro Valley Church of the Nazarene. The sermons are titled Reset.
One of the comments that Pastor Craig said was, “Renewing your mind, takes a lot of time and it takes time. Time is your friend, renewing your mind takes time, time is your friend. You never broke the old habits. if you don’t take off the old before you put on the new, the new will peel off.”
The sermon along with Jim’s helped me get my thoughts together in a more positive way. Originally this blog post was going to be about how worried and stressed I have been over Trump. When I was supposed to be sleeping or doing other normal things that needs to be done, I was stressing over Trump. I have also been taking many comments personal. It isn’t like those that I know on Facebook such as friends, family members, my church has family said anything negative to me or about me. At least that I know of, but I have spent countless hours venting internally over some things our government and society has been doing. My mind is far from finding any sense of peace.
When I should have been sleeping, my mind has been running through various actions that have consumed my mind. I would and still do look back at the words that people have been saying about those who they consider “liberals” just because those that didn’t vote for Trump have been labeled as, “baby killers, on welfare, same-sex marriage, no morals and so on. There is a long list when it comes to what people think. liberals are.
It isn’t just coming from the Republicans, it is also coming from the Democrats. Democrats have said over and over again about how peaceful they are. Yet, they are the ones destroying property and saying vulgar things all in the name of standing together. I watched both of the conventions for Trump and for Clinton. I think back to when Michelle Obama said .”while they go low, we go high.” I don’t see any of this going on. I guess in some ways, yes, but for the most part the actions are low. Things don’t make sense in my brain when it comes to all of the chaos that is going on in the world. I don’t have the answers, well, The only answer I have is Jesus Christ.
I have had some people assume that I am a liberal because I didn’t vote for Trump. I believe that each and every person has the right to vote for the person they think would be the best man or woman for the job. It isn’t my job to judge those who don’t agree with me. Although, I will be the first one to post a fact checked article over false news. I wanted Carson and then he dropped out and then I decided on Kasich. He stood for the things that meant the most for me.
As, I was reading the post that Jim Black wrote and the sermon I was listening to from Oro Valley Church of the Nazarene, I decided the best approach I could take was to see what God’s Words say. I have always believed that the Bible gives us all of the answers. We just have to be willing to look for it and then accept the truths that God has given us.
So, what does the Bible have to say about government and politics. I have found that the Bible is pretty clear when it comes to the government. Which also includes education, helping those in need, private property and welfare.
Here are some verses that I have found on this subject;
- Proverbs 8:15, 16 , By me kings reign and rulers issue decrees that are just; by me princes govern, and nobles—all who rule on earth. Since the Bible is the inspired Word of God, it is pretty safe to say that the government should use wisdom to rule and to make laws that are just.
- 1 Timothy 5:3-16 , 3 Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need. 4 But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God. Read More…
- 2 Thessalonians 3:6-15, 6 In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers and sisters, to keep away from every believer who is idle and disruptive and does not live according to the teaching[a] you received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. Read More…
- Proverbs 28:2-4 and 29:4 urges rulers to maintain order justly, to follow God’s moral code and to avoid oppressing the poor.
After reading up on all the things government wise and such, it is pretty easy to see that when people are in need of help, they should come to their families first and then to those they may know. If all else has failed, they go to the church and other sources. People should work for a living and not become dependent on others. I haven’t found any place in the Bible where it says that the government is the one responsible for taking care of others. It also doesn’t say that the government is to take care of the poor and needy by using public funds/taxes from those who are paying taxes.
So, what does the government and the chaos that is going on around us have to do with renewing of our minds? To change your life, you must change the way you think. Behind everything you do is a thought. Every behavior is motivated by a belief, and every action is prompted by an attitude.
- Ephesians 4:23, to be made new in the attitude of your minds; Change always starts first in the mind. The way you think determines the way you feel, and the way you feel influences the way you act, which means “there must be a spiritual renewal of your thoughts and attitudes”
There isn’t a day that goes by when we aren’t bombarded with negative news, people and discussions. As we see all the chaos playing out on our televisions, computer screens or whatever, I would say that we shouldn’t let the fears, doubts and the anxieties of this world stop you from being the person God intended you to be. Renew your mind, and focus on His Word, mercy and grace. When we do these things, we are able to help those people in our lives that are family, friends and others that we reach out to for Christ.
The only conclusions I can come with is that it’s time to renew our minds. I know for myself, it is something I need to do more often, well each day I need to do that. It can be difficult and I struggle with it, but if it is something that you desire, then it can be done.
Those who are in the government aren’t the savior of the world. Jesus Christ is the salvation for all of mankind. God knew that the world needed to be saved long before Trump or an other politician. Redemption can not be accomplished because of politics or the power of man. Salvation of mankind is accomplished only through Jesus Christ, faith, grace and love. “Love our neighbors as ourselves” and “strive for justice and peace among all people and respect the dignity of every human being.”